In a hurry? This flavorful and easy salad is great for lunch and takes just 15 minutes to make. The addition of the wine helps to reduce some of the bitterness of the spinach, while the feta cheese provides a tangy balance to the sweetness of the berries. It’s also quite a bit healthier than the traditional bacon dressing recipes. This recipe serves 4.
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves, stems removed, washed and spun dry
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- ¾ cup dressing (recipe follows)
For the dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup BUCKEYE NATION blackberry wine
½ tablespoon minced onion
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional-but gives it a little kick)
1. Place the oil and wine, the onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and Worcestershire sauce, if using, in a blender and mix until combined. Taste and add a touch of sugar if needed. Use right away or store in the refrigerator for up to overnight.
2. In a large bowl, toss together baby spinach, blackberries, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, green onion, and walnuts with the dressing. Serve right away.